Washington Post-Culinary scholarship winner Jeanine Williams, a senior at Roosevelt High School in the District, credits her aunt Stacy for this family recipe. When Jeanine doesn’t have the vinaigrette ingredients on hand, she uses Newman’s Own Balsamic Vinaigrette.
MAKE AHEAD: You’ll have vinaigrette left over, which can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) pecan halves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 7 ounces (about 5 cups) baby spinach leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled, rinsed and cut into halves
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled