- * * * * Creme Brulee French Toast * * * *
- 1 loaf Challah or Brioche Bread, sliced into 1 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup Butter, unsalted (1 stick)
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons Corn Syrup
- 5 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- Powdered Sugar (optional)
- * * * * Drunken Strawberries * * * *
- 1 quart Strawberries, hulled and sliced 1/4-inch thick (lengthwise)
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier or Cointreau
Make the French Toast
Butter a 9 by 13 baking dish.
In a small pot, melt the butter with the brown sugar and corn syrup. Stir together until the sugar is completely melted. Pour mixture into the baking dish.
Place the bread slices on top of the butter and sugar mixture in one even layer. Squeeze the edges slightly to make the bread fit.
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, vanilla, salt, and 2 teaspoons of Grand Marnier. Pour this mixture over the bread. Tightly cover baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
Let dish stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before placing in preheated oven at 350 degrees.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until french toast is golden and puffed.
Serve hot with drunken strawberries and powdered sugar sprinkled on top.
Combine sliced strawberries, sugar, and Grand Marnier in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate