When you are covering the world, you need a little help. If you love Filipino food, can’t get enough of Filipino culture then check out thephilippineisland.com. Here is a favorite cultural dish.- Crystal Johnson, MCCN
The ingredients would be as follows:
- 2-3 lbs red snapper, whole fish
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cidar vinegar or white vinegar
- ¼ water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup ginger, julienned
- 1/2 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup scallion, julienned (spring onions)
- 1 tablespoon sifted flour
- Clean the fish and slit it open. Let it stand for few minutes and drain well.
- Sprinkle fish with 1 tbsp salt.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil and fry the fish until brown. Remove the fish from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the garlic until light brown, then sauté onion.
- Add salt and white pepper. Stir in ginger, scallions, carrot and red bell pepper.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, water and sugar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When the mixture boils, add flour to thicken. Then, add the fish.
- Cover the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes