Ambrosia is a popular offering at summer gatherings like cook outs. The best version of it in my humble opinion is pistachio. The word ambrosia means sweet or delicous so when making this recipe you have a lot to live up to.
For gatherings, this recipes serves about 16 to 20. People are very fickle about fruit so served the canned or fresh fruits you like. However, the most popular fruits to use are the classic fruit cockctails, mandarin oranges or pineapple chunks.
Pistachio Ambrosia Recipe 16-20 Servings Prep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (17 ounces each) fruit cocktail
- 2 cans (20 ounces each) pineapple chunks
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) mandarin oranges
- 4 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant pistachio pudding mix
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Chopped pecans, optional
Editor’s tip- Instead of pecans opt for coconut shavings or crush pistachio. Cut the calories in half by using fat free whip and sugar free pudding(which could be hard to find), and either low fat sour cream or skip the sour cream.