I have a done a great bit of traveling. I used work on the road, a life of going from hotel to hotel. Additionally, I have gone on a mission trip the plane is so small you and your luggage get weighed together. Yet true wisdom in some cases still eludes me on packing light. -Crystal J, MCCN Editor.
Thus, let’s take some direction from the Travel Dudes:
1. Determine a neutral color to work with. Whether it be black, brown, grey, or even Navy, the best way to pack light is to choose a neutral and build a travel wardrobe around that. (This includes shoes)
2. Choose complimentary items to go with them. Make sure that all of your tops work with all of your bottoms and that all of your bottoms go with your shoes. Whatever doesn’t match doesn’t make the cut!
3. Pack light layers. You should have base layers, mid weight pull overs, and something wind and water proof. You want to be able to shed or add layers as needed. (Don’t forget your fingers and toes: make sure you have enough (an appropriate) socks, and a lightweight pair of gloves!)
4. Make sure items are multifunctional. Don’t pack anything that is activity specific. If you can only wear it for one thing take it out of the bag! If you can bike in a pair of shorts, you should be able to hike in them as well.
5. Don’t pack anything you don’t want to loose. Your brand new jacket, grandmothers pearls, even a very nice wedding ring should be left at home. Replace the ring with a simple, non-sentimental, band. Don’t draw attention to yourself by wearing your nicest, fanciest, items.
Are you or someone you care about the one who forces people around you to block because of bad breath? Maybe you do not want to go down the road to bad breath. Here is a listing of 10 foods which can help eliminate bad breath.
- Apples-Whether the bad breath is due to the garlic dip you had at lunch or it is just morning breath, apples always work. Apples brush against the bacteria on your teeth and also help to remove food particles that are clogged inside, causing stale breath. Best way to consume: Sliced apple pieces.
- Mint Leaves-Just like apples, chewing on mint leaves will give your mouth an instant refreshment. They will make your breath smell fresh and clean. Best way to consume: Garnish anything you eat with lots of mint leaves.
First, while it may seem obvious, it is important to eat the food from your fridge first, the freezer next, and after that move on to foods you may have stocked in your pantry. Do not discard frozen and refrigerated foods right when the power goes out. I was surprised to learn that foods from a well-stocked freezer will last up to 48 hours!
Second, make sure you have a manual can opener. Although it seems obvious, it is easy to forget that your electric can opener will not work. READ MORE
From Rodeo Drive to The Studios at Paramount to Downtown L.A., The Taste is a four-day food and wine extravaganza, celebrating all things epicurean. This unprecedented event will showcase a star-studded cast of celebrity chefs at nine signature events over Labor Day weekend.
The Tokyo Marathon is one of Japan’s most popular road races and one of the largest city marathons in Asia. Although the Tokyo Marathon is still developing as an event and has a shorter history than the world’s great marathons in London, Berlin, New York City, Chicago and Boston, it has been recognized since 2010 as a Gold Level marathon by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF). Tokyo Marathon’s reputation continues to grow and the number of applicants is rising steadily with an oversubscription rate of 9.6.
In March this year, Tokyo was temporarily affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake, but now the city is back on its feet and welcoming many visitors from around the world. We are delighted that now, thanks to the wonderful support and commitment we have received from everyone involved in the Tokyo Marathon, we are in a position to move forward with our preparations for the 2012 event. (Read More)
American Cancer Society donors, volunteers as well as celebrity supporters Josie Loren from ABC Family’s “Make It Or Break It”, and Nelsan Ellis and Nondumiso Tembe of HBO’s “True Blood” attended the first ever VIP Charity Dinner at Chef Gordon Ramsay’s Hell’s Kitchen! The charity episode is airing Monday, Aug 29th (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.
The big event has finally come and gone. The extravagant “royal wedding” between Kim Kardashian and basketball star Kris Humphries took place yesterday at a close friend’s mansion just outside Los Angeles in front of over 450 guests. Kim had three wedding gowns, but during the nuptials she wore an ivory Vera Wang strapless ballgown with a full tulle skirt and basque waist with handpieced Chantilly lace applique on the bodice and train. Her glittering accessories included a jeweled head piece atop her veil. READ MORE
After a night at the movies or a nice refreshing walk in the city Café Lalo Patisserie is the perfect place to stop and slow down. Located on W. 83rd st. in New York City, this quaint café has been featured in the hit romantic comedy You’ve Got Mail, and for 23 years has been an inviting place for patrons to come and partake of its European interior and mouth watering yet healthy menu. The breads, whip cream, and sauces are all made in house.