Ebony Steele is definitely the dynamic other half of the syndicated Rickey Smiley radio show. The top rated show and team can also be seen on the hit Dish Nation. With Steele increased visibility and voice, she is making cancer awareness priority. The witty and humorous host is a cancer survivor as most of her listeners know. I got the chance to chat with her.
She recently held her annual Bare Chest for Cancer, her very own brain child event. When asked about the unique concept which includes bare chest male models walking down the runway and an evening of pampering, Steele said ” Well, I work in urban hip hop radio, I had to take something that happen to me and give it my own flavor.” READ MORE
From the Sri Lankan Pride Page on Facebook
Appam or Appam hoppers are a type of food mainly in Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Sri Lankan cuisine.
- String hopper (Noolputtu)
- Or idiyappam (pronounced [iʈijapːam]), is made from rice noodles curled into flat spirals. It is served for breakfast with a thin fish orchicken curry, containing only one or two pieces of meat, a dhal (lentil) dish, and a spicy sambol or fresh chutney. String hoppers are made from steamed rice flour made into a dough with water and a little salt, and forced through a mould similar to those used for pasta to make the strings. They are cooked by steaming. These hoppers can be bought ready-made. The Indian and Sri Lankan population eats String Hoppers for breakfast or dinner. There are many variations to this, depending on the type of flour used etc. This simple dish can be adapted into other foods such as String Hopper Biriyani, by adding scrambled eggs or vegetables.
- See Recipe from infolanka.com
Photo by Crystal A. Johnson
Although this drink can be consumed year round, if you want to be transported to the flavors of autumn then fix this smoothie. The persimmon fruit has a flavor similar to pumpkin.
- 1 cup of frozen persimmon fruit(medium sized chunks)
- 1 cup of vanilla soy milk
- 1 cup of ice( 5 cubes)
- 1 stick of cinnamon
Pour one of soy milk in blender then add the fruit and ice. Blend up until texture is smooth. Pour smoothie into tall glass. Grate cinnamon over the top. Add the cinnamon stick for decoration and flavor to drink. Enjoy.
Watch Video on How to Make it
Gulaman, in Filipino cuisine, refers to the bars of dried seaweed used to make jellies or flan, as well as the desserts made from it.Agarose or agar is made of processed seaweed, mostly from Gelidium corneum–one of the most common edible alga, dehydrated and formed into foot-long dry bars which are either plain or coloured.
The gulaman jelly bars are used in the various Filipino refreshments or desserts such as sago at gulaman (or gulaman at sago, commonly shortened to sago’t gulaman), buko pandan, agar flan, halo-halo, different varieties of Filipino fruit salads, black gulaman, and red gulaman.
Drink Ingredients :
- 1 bar gulaman (unflavoured gelatin), red or green
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 medium coconut, grated
- 1/2 cup pinipig, toasted
FRUIT COCKTAIL RECIPE
It’s just another craze after the red velvet explosion in the dessert world, someone had to take it a step further. What’s the step? It’s a step up in the food line up of the day to breakfast. Many a home cook is trying to replicate the red velvet pancakes, a breakfast men item on the
Los Angeles based Buttermilk Food Truck. When you make it to LA, follow that food truck but if that is not happening soon the the pancake recipe is at least is quite simple.
Buttermilk Food Truck
- Use a red velvet from scratch recipe or boxed red velvet cake mix. The key ingredient which needs to be used is buttermilk so instead of the suggested liquid in your recipe swap it for buttermilk.
- Add two chocolate chip to each pancake while on the griddle.
- Use a dollop of cream cheese frosting and maple syrup to taste.
- Basically, the red velvet pancake recipe is cake batter fried like a pancake.
Watch the popular video How to by Divascancook.com
An old fashion drink has been made popular again with hit series Mad Men. One of the earliest recipes for an Old Fashioned, written in 1895, specifies the following (with a jigger being 1.5 US fluid ounces (44 ml)):
- “Dissolve a small lump of sugar with a little water in a whiskey-glass; add two dashes Angostura bitters, a small piece ice, a piece lemon-peel, one jigger whiskey. Mix with small bar-spoon and serve, leaving spoon in glass
- See other popular drink favorites recipes of characters on Mad Men
Men’s Style and All that Jazz-This is the beginning of the holiday season. Read your invitation before you embarrass yourself at these various events. What you are to wear is usually specified on the invitations. To dress otherwise is impolite, inappropriate, and shows a lack of taste. This is the hosts’ event not yours, and their wishes should be considered. If the instruction are not clear call or write them for clarification. Some people put a lot of time and emphasis on proper apparel. If you feel you don’t wish to adhere to the host standards Don’t Go. READ MORE
Emory University is apologizing for years of anti-Semitism at its dental school, when dozens of Jewish students were flunked out or forced to repeat courses, leaving many feeling inadequate and ashamed for decades despite successful careers.
After decades of denial, Emory is trying to make amends for the discriminatory practices at the school, which closed in 1992.
According to the Anti-Defamation League, under dental school dean John Buhler from 1948 to 1961, 65 percent of Jewish students at Emory’s dental school were flunked out or forced to repeat one or more years READ MORE
This dish is made mostly on a Sunday by the majority of Jamaicans, especially those living in the countryside. The other most popular Sunday protein dishes. SEE RECIPE