Preparation time: 15 Minutes.
Cooking Time: 40-50 Minutes.
Serves: 4 People.
- 1½g (3 lbs) chicken cut into 8-10 clean pieces.
- 40g (1½oz) ghee or oil.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced.
- 2.5cm (1 inch) cinnamon stick.
- 6 cloves.
- 6 small cardamoms.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 5ml (1tsp) small black whole cumin seeds.
- 10ml (2 tsp) ginger paste.
- 5ml (1 tsp) garlic paste.
- 5ml (1 tsp) chilli powder.
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground coriander.
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground cumin.
- 1¼ (¼ tsp) turmeric powder.
- 150ml (¼ pint) natural yoghurt.
- 175ml ( 6 fl oz) water.
- Salt to taste.
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander, chopped.
- 2 green chillies, halved.
- 15ml (1 tblsp) ground almonds.
Fry the onions in oil or ghee until beautiful golden brown. Add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, bay leaf and of course the black cumin. Fry for about 1 minute, then add ginger and the garlic paste. Stir for about half a minute. Add the chicken and sprinkle with hot chillies, coriander, cumin, and turmeric powders. ( what amazing flavours yummy) Mix well and add the yoghurt. Cover and cook for 10 -15 minutes, stirring the mixture occasionally. Add water, salt to taste and cover. Cook on a low temperature for about 30 – 40 minutes or until chicken is tender. Chicken korma should have a medium to thick gravy. Add the ground almonds, and the green chillies and coriander leaves. Add extra water if needed. Serve with rice or chapattis.