I’ve been meaning to do this for year but apparently Anthony Bourdain has beat me to it. And since I am a fan of the chef and writer. I will defer to him for part of this list of Best Foodie Films. This list has no ranking of one film versus the next. These are simply some of the best foodie films. – Crystal A. Johnson, MCCN Editor (Film and Food Critic)
- Soul Food -The film centers on the trials of an extended African-American family, held together by longstanding family traditions(coming together over Sunday dinner of soul food) which begin to fade as serious problems take center stage
- Chocolat– A woman and her daughter open a chocolate shop in a small French village that shakes up the rigid morality of the community. Film stars Johnny Depp and Juliet Binoche
- Pressure Cooker -The Documentary follows two semesters of students in a Culinary arts program under the supervision of a no-nonsense Chef/Teacher who helps to push these Philadelphia high school students to excellence in and out of the kitchen.
- Eat Pray & Love – Based on the best selling book of the same name, Julia Roberts stars in a film which partly celebrates Italian Food.
- Kings of Pastry-is a truly thrilling and informative look at the somewhat secretive and incestuous world of French patisserie.
- Last Holiday – stars Queen La’Tifah as woman afraid of her own shadow but loves cooking. When thinks she is facing death, she decides to taste the full flavors of life.
- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs – is based on a children’s book which made its debut in 1978. The weather comes three times a day, at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and is always food and beverages.
- Princess and the Frog– This Disney film is all about a New Orleans gal who wants to open a restaurant. She doesn’t expect a Prince Charming to make her dreams come true.
- Chef – When updating the list many people suggested Chef , a 2014 American comedy-drama film written, co-produced, directed by, and starring Jon Favreau. Favreau plays a chef who, after a public altercation with a food critic, loses his job at a popular Los Angeles restaurant and begins to operate a food truck with his young son.
- Spanglish- This one my sister would probably vote for considering that it is one of her favorite film. Adam Sandler plays a chef. Watch Sandler learn how to make “The World’s Greatest Sandwich”
Bourdain Listing is below. Everything would be a pick of mine but Tempopo because I have never scene it.